Sunday, 29 August 2010

goon too soon

Today is the 1st birthday after the 1st anniversary of the death of my all time favourite musical genius.... Michael Joseph Jackson.
They always die tragically and young don't they. You may not think of 51 as young, but he was young at heart. How's that? You ever think, the world just can't handle people like him...and that they can't handle the world around them either?
But we had years and a musical and philanthropic legacy to remember him by. I choose not to listen to idle chatterings about why he did whatever to himself and allegations. I wasn't there and money can be a powerful negotiator.
Right now I'm sad, not only because I think of his children and family and millions of fans and people he has touched around the world...but for the seemingly unimportant (as compared to) reason that I cannot find my Invincible CD. I opened the case to find nothing, not even an IOU. :( I had the urge to listen to "Butterflies" today. I'm now being made to listen via Youtube.... *sigh*

When going through his discography, I always find a song I love but have forgotten about, Right now I'm on the early classics with the J5. I'm on "Good Thing Going", mind you the Sugar Minott cover will always be a classic in it's own right, but I'm on a MJ vibe today.
"Understanding With never handing any alibis
Instead of what you do
Where you been or what's the use
We're making nice"
Just makes me think of a certain someone.  People, Imma say again how important it is to find someone you can be yourself with. If you find yourself making up stuff because what you say or feel 'won't sound right' to them....drop them like a hot potato. Then go out and get your own "My Little baby"

Michael made music for everyone. I can't see anyone not at least liking one track of his vast collection. The one song that makes me smile the most (not my favourite by far) is "With A Child's Heart" because I truly believe that this is the way he lived his life. Maybe more of us need to.


Anyway MJJ I love and miss you. I spent many a happy moment and will hopefully spend many more singing along (very badly I might add) to your music. When I have been very down in the past, there was always one of your songs there to comfort me and lift my spirits. I only hope the generations to come will come to love and respect your music and your imprint on the world. I value all the time I have spent with some members of your family, and from spending time and getting to know some of them, I can only imagine how bittersweet today is for them.

And for the rest of us. remember this:
Maybe you and I can't do great things
We may not change the world in one day
But we still can change some things today...
In our small way

Empty words are not enough
Where there's hurt we'll be a crutch
When there's thirst we'll fill each other's cup
Because we care we love enough to share

[Refrain]
Maybe you and I can't do great things
We may not change the world in one day
But we still can change some things today...
In our small way

In despair we'll be the hope
And the prayer that frees the soul
We'll be there to share each lonely road
Because we love, I know
We care enough

[Refrain]
Maybe you and I can't do great things
We may not change the world in one day
But we still can change some things today...
In our small way

Just a little time is all it takes
What a difference just a smile can make, you'll see
Love is all we need

[Refrain]
Maybe you and I can't do great things
We may not change the world in one day
But we still can change some things today...
In our small way


No comments:

Post a Comment